What you eat interacts with your hormones. Food can have a direct interaction with your hormones via many pathways. One of the major hormonal links to acne is dairy, sugar and refined carbohydrates which increases insulin and insulin-like growth factor (IGF) which increases androgen synthesis in the ovaries, which then increases the production of sebum and epidermis cells. This creates the perfect environment for P.acnes to hyper-colonise resulting in acne lesions.
So what do you do?
To address your acne you have to eat a dairy-free, low-glycemic diet, which means no refined carbohydrates, dairy or sugar. So you may think so what does that include? It Includes:
- Crackers & chips
- Lollies & chocolate
- Soft drinks & juice
- Oats & cereals
So what are the foods that I should be eating?
- Brown rice, brown rice pasta & quinoa
- Vegetables (LOTS of VEGETABLES)
- Nut milk (unsweetened)
- Green banana flour (resistant starch) you can make pancakes
- White meat
- Nuts & seeds
Other important factors to address acne:
- Drink enough water - How much water should I drink per day?
- Make sure to do aerobic exercise to increase circulation and balance hormonal activity
- Don't use harsh or drying facial products on your skin